Friday, February 26, 2016

Philippians Post # 5 – Chapter 1, Verses 27-30



Todays post will bring us to the end of Chapter 1 of Paul’s letter to the Philippians.  I hope you are finding these posts about Paul’s letter to be helpful to your study.  I always enjoy hearing from readers and find their comments at the bottom of the post, on my personal Facebook page or on the Facebook page created specifically for the readers of this blog.  That last page hasn’t been up and running for too long and doesn’t have a lot of comments yet.  I hope that will change as people want to comment or discuss something related to these posts.  If you go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/459484807586302/ let me know you would like to join that group and I’ll be happy to add you to the conversation so you can contribute items or comments as well.

Todays post covers 4 verses as compared to the previous post which dealt with 14 verses.   In one translation verses 27 through 30 were subtitled Life Worthy of the Gospel and I liked that.  I think that will be the theme of today’s post…Live Your Life Worthy of the Gospel.  What do you think?  As always I would encourage you to take a moment before you begin to ask God to open your eyes to what He wants you to see in todays’ scripture and comments.  With that, let’s get started.  Here are the verses we will work on today.

27 “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.”

Paul begins this paragraph with a reminder, “Whatever happens”.  He is telling the Philippians that no matter what happens in their lives or his they should be consistent in their faith walk.  If we are truly in the ‘Family of God’ as we like to sing about, then we should behave like one of God’s kids, don’t you think?  Paul was admonishing the “family” in the Philippian church that they should live consistently, every day, no matter what the circumstances.  The same is true for us.  You’ve already read in these blogs that we should be the same person during the week that we are on Sunday morning.  The man or woman people think us to be should be the same person they see wherever you might meet them.  Think for just a moment where that ‘place’ might be.  You could be standing in line at the Convenience Store or in a long line at Walmart.  You might be sitting at the counter in the local diner or in a chair at the beauty salon or barber shop.  Then again you might think of who people see when they meet you at the garage, the grocery store or just leaning over the back fence.  We all need to remember that we are God’s witness here on earth everywhere we go through whatever we are doing or saying.  This world is so full of opportunities to goof up on this point isn’t it?  When you hear that juicy bit of gossip that you think others should hear as well or when you have thoughts which might be less that Christ-like about a co-worker or neighbor.  Maybe something happened while you were driving in traffic (it’s getting close to me right now, ouch) and some idiot other person almost causes you to be involved in an accident. 

 In my past I had no idea what kind of things I was teaching my young daughter until she shared some interesting “vocabulary” with her mom one afternoon in the middle of the grocery store, saying that “Daddy said…”.  That was a bit of a wake-up call for her Dad I can tell you!  I’m sure you get the point and without a doubt you can recall some situations in your own walk where you might have been glad Jesus wasn’t around.  There’s the rub.  He’s always there because we asked him to be and he said ‘yes’!  He is with us by our own invitation!  It helps us to live a better Christian witness when we are mindful of his presence.  Let’s get back to Paul’s word, shall we?

Paul says that he needs to know that the Philippian Christians are consistent in their stand for Christ whether he’s around or not.  He mentions hearing about them when he’s not around.  He expresses confidence in their witness when he says “I will know that you stand firm”.  I think Paul did believe that they would be good representatives of the gospel and he was reassuring them of that fact but he also knew human nature and was reminding them of how they should live.  God does that daily in our own lives if we let Him.  What I mean by that is we need to make sure that God has the opportunity to speak to us through our prayers and/or scripture reading every day.  That “quiet time” gives Him the chance to speak to us directly and with limited distractions or interruptions.  It’s important to make time to be with Him every day.  One of the first things I would ask individuals who came to me with struggles and trouble in their spiritual walk was this… “So, how are you doing with your daily devotional time?”  I can tell you that almost to the person they would immediately start to share that they had been having “a real hard time finding the chance to do that”.  I know exactly what they mean because I have those same “hard times”.  The truth is, I don’t need to “find time” to be with God, I need to “make time” to do that.  I sure make time to eat 3+ meals a day!  That’s where I get fed and receive the nourishment to keep my body going.  The same is true about my spiritual health.  If I want to stay strong and grow in that area of my life I’d better be “eating” regularly as well, feeding on God’s Word.  When I fail to do that I always find myself having more problems.  It’s just a fact of life for me.  When I don’t take time to be “fed” by the Holy Spirit I become weaker and less effective to “live” for Christ every day.  How about you?

At the end of verse 27 Paul writes “I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel”.  He’s talking about unity in the body.  I believe that the church does more to harm their image than anyone outside the church.  I can’t tell you the number of times I have heard church people “outside the walls” complaining about others, belittling others, or just complaining in general.  And then there’s the problem of criticizing those “other churches” who do things differently than they do at “their church”.  Make no mistake, the world is watching us as “those religious folks” and they take note of what we say, how we say it, who we’re talking about and what we’re saying about them.  I’ll share a story from several years ago.  One Saturday morning my wife and I were having breakfast in a local diner where one of my students was working as a waitress.  Actually, she was our waitress on this particular morning.  At the same time there was a group of people from one of the other local churches sharing breakfast a few tables away from us and they, too, had that same young lady as their waitress.  As the meal went on at one point she was refreshing my coffee and said, “Those people over at that table are all from the XYZ church but you should hear what they are saying about some of the other people who go to their church!  I didn’t think church people would talk like that.  Why would anybody want to go to that church?”  Wow!  Out of the mouths of babes!  Here again, we don’t have to look outside the walls of the church to find the perpetrators.  All too often the enemy is us!  There’s a phrase which originated in James, chapter 3 which has application in lots of place and this is one of them.  “My brothers (and sisters), this should not be!”  Remember, the whole world is watching.

Paul in the end of verse 27 is speaking about unity.  Some people miss an important point.  Paul isn’t speaking about uniformity.  Or as I like to say, God wants to see unity, not uniformity in the body.  What am I talking about?  God has made us all so very different and that was by design.  He doesn’t want “cookie cutter Christians” who do everything the same all the time.  He gives us a wonderful variety of talents, likes, dislikes, abilities, and the opportunity to use them in so many different ways.  I believe that’s one of the reasons we see so many different churches.  Granted, there are many who have become so “different” that they have changed the basic message of the Gospel and I’m not speaking about that.  What I am saying is that there are many, many churches which have different traditions, worship formats, musical styles, etc., etc., etc., but as long as they are anchored to the gospel message and recognize salvation through Christ alone then they have some things in common with every other “Bible believing” and “Jesus loving” church.  

This is another thing which “the world” sees all too often when they watch those “church people”.  We spend so much time telling them why our church is better than that other church down the street and why our music is more “godly” than theirs and how our pastor dresses more appropriately, preachers better and so on.  It’s no wonder that so many unsaved folks don’t even want to step through the doors of a church and, unfortunately, we are the ones to blame.  I love the attitude our pastor expresses about this problem.  Pastor Don says that we should begin by finding what we agree on and build our relationship with other Christians from there.  Instead, he says, people so often stress the differences between themselves and other Christians.  I believe he’s on to something there, don’t you?  I once knew an Episcopal Priest who used to tell me, “When God looks down from heaven He doesn’t see the walls, he sees people.  It’s we who put so much emphasis on the walls (figurative and literal) that we build between our various Christian churches and that’s wrong.”  Here again, I think this pastor was on to something too!  Let’s all strive for more unity, not uniformity with our brothers and sisters in other churches.  Let’s start looking for what we can agree on and emphasize those things rather than the things which make us different from one another.  One thing we need to agree on right off the bat is that we have a common enemy in Satan and he will do everything he can to keep us fighting with each other for then we won’t have any time or energy to attack the real enemy and that is him!

In verse 28 Paul continues by telling the Philippians that they don’t need to fear those who oppose them.  Some translations use the word terrified in this verse.  Scripture has many verses which remind us not to fear.  When we represent the “light” it will most certainly cause conflict with those who walk in “darkness”.  It may very well be a source of contention because, recognize it or not, this very comparison speaks of the lost state of those who oppose the gospel.  I’ve met so many people over the years who even joke about their “goin’ to hell”.  They seem to have a foreknowledge based on their own behaviors that they aren’t saved but they don’t seem that concerned about it.  As a matter of fact there are those who want to argue with you about it.  All I can say is that we need to be careful that we never come off as superior or arrogant about our assurance of salvation.  That isn’t something we can every take credit for.  On the contrary, we need to remember that ‘There but for the grace of God go I.’ We are, like the old chorus says, ‘Only a sinner saved by grace.’  We’ve got nothing to brag about.  We have everything to be filled with thanksgiving and gratitude for.  And we need to share that kind of attitude with the people around us who don’t yet know the Lord.   Try to emphasize God’s amazing grace above anything else as well as the fact that Jesus made it possible for anyone to receive this amazing gift of salvation.

In verses 29 and 30 Paul continues to speak about suffering for the cause of Christ.  He says “For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.”  I love the word “granted” used here.  We have been given the gift of salvation through Jesus but also the fact that we can suffer for him.  I know that doesn’t sound much like a gift but it is important to remember that when you are being attacked or belittled or ignored because of your faith it isn’t you they are confronting.  It is Christ in you!  In faithfulness, if you are reflecting Christ to the world around you then expect struggles and opposition.  I’ve told you before that Jesus knew this was coming for everyone who professed him as Lord.  If you don’t remember my telling you of this before take a moment and turn to John 16:33 and read it once again.  “Take heart…!”  Those words are for us.  In verse 30 Paul makes reference to his own suffering speaks of his situation as a reminder that the believers in Philippi should expect, not fear but expect, that they will have struggles as Paul does.
I will end todays’ post with a couple verses we will study more in depth later on in this series but I want to share them with you now as a way to wrap up the scripture we shared today.  I won’t make any comments at this point but I think you may find that these two verses will sort of draw things together for you.  If they whet your appetite then go ahead and read further.  It’s not cheating to look ahead in a Bible study you know!  God bless you until we connect again real soon.

I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.            Philippians 3:10, 11

No comments:

Post a Comment