Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Psalm 23, Post #7 – February 3, 2016


“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;” (Psalm 23:4A)  
                             
Hi and welcome back.  Once again today, we are going to spend some time sharing thoughts about the sheep and the shepherd in their daily life and find connections or parallels between that and the life we live.  First I want to address the term “the valley of the shadow of death.”  

I have heard many messages and read devotions which try to explain “the valley of the shadow of death.”  I have even heard messages where this “valley of the shadow of death” is said to be an actual place near Jerusalem in David’s time.  Conversely, I have heard that it is really a general description or label given to any number of dangerous situations the sheep and shepherd found themselves in.  I am not scholar but I have some thoughts which I will share concerning the first half of today’s scripture passage.

One well known commentary expresses the opinion that this “valley of the shadow of death” speaks to the actual occurrence of our death.   The idea of this explanation is that we, as believers, need have no fear of death because of the promise of salvation for all who believe.  Since Christ died for our sins they no longer have hold over us and we have the sure hope of salvation.  So even when we “walk through” this valley we don’t have to be afraid because of what Jesus has already done for us, securing our salvation through his sacrifice.  While I totally agree with this idea of not fearing death I’m not at all sure this was the main point David was trying to make with his Psalm.

I mentioned earlier that another explanation I have heard is based on the idea that this “valley of the shadow of death” was a real place which the people of David’s time would have been familiar with.  The road from Jerusalem to Jericho is said to be this place.  It had steep cliffs which created a winding, narrow valley below where the shepherds would walk their sheep.  It was also a place where thieves and muggers as well as predators in the animal kingdom could lie in wait and ambush unsuspecting travelers.  In Luke chapter 10 the Good Samaritan is described as walking on the road “from Jerusalem to Jericho when he fell into the hands of robbers.”  It is thought by many that these are on in the same.  

Another popular opinion is that this “valley of the shadow of death” relates to situations you find yourself in when you face death.  Think of any such dire situation and I guess that is your answer according to this opinion.  Whether it be an accident, a sudden illness, an automobile crash or some other kind of crisis, if you are facing death itself then you are in that “valley”. 

I can see snips of truth in each opinion but for me, since this entire Psalm is using the imagery of sheep and their shepherd, I think the definition of this “valley of the shadow of death” is much more a metaphor of the sheep entering a place of danger.  This could be danger regarding their safety, health, food, protection or any other threat I their lives.  I can see parallels in our lives in many different ways.  I found the following quote which says it pretty well.  The trouble is I can’t come up with the source.  (Not very scholarly I guess).  Oh well… 

“In reality, "the valley of the shadow of death" was and is not exactly synonymous with the experience of death at all but is an ancient metaphor of danger and difficulty that might well result in physical death. The metaphor is one of hills and valleys in the land of Palestine where robbers and murderers and animals of prey have always hidden in the hills and then descended on small groups of people or flocks of domestic animals in the valleys below.  "The valley of the shadow of death" is in fact, the place where the sheep is vulnerable. The experience of death is for the believer indeed a valley of the shadow of death but there are many others. In the case of literal sheep, vulnerability was due to wild animals that would savage the flock. In the case of the humans who walked those valleys the vulnerability was the likelihood of losing all their money and possessions and their own life also.” 

This makes sense to me.  The sheep and shepherd could face these dangers in any number of places.  These were real dangers for them at this time and in this place.  The shepherd had to keep his sheep on the move and when they were heading into the hill country to locate those good fields for summer grazing they had to travel up rocky trails, in canyons and gullies, and even on narrow mountain paths to reach the relative safety of the open areas.  There were still dangers there which we will address in future posts but they faced very real dangers every time they moved, especially heading up to and back from their summer grazing grounds.  When they were in these locations they were in the wilderness, the wild country with very little civilization or other help around.  They faced lots of predators who were also looking for good “grazing” and these weak, helpless sheep were a popular target.  There could be lions, bears, wolves, thieves, rushing waters and any number of other things which could put both the sheep and the shepherd in danger over and over again.  The shepherd had to rely on his knowledge of the land, the animals who roamed there and most important, his sheep and how they behaved and what they really needed to not only survive but to prosper.  The sheep, on the other hand, only had one thing to rely on for everything.  You guessed it, they looked to their shepherd for it all.  He was, very literally, their only hope.

I bet that I hardly need to draw the parallels for you in all of this.  We are the sheep.  I suppose I could stop right there couldn’t I.  (But you know I won’t.)   When Jesus is our “good shepherd” it means that we, like the sheep, have put our total trust on him.  We depend on him for our safety, our nourishment, our peace, our healing, our guidance and on and on.  So, if this metaphor is relating the dangers the sheep faced to the fact that we face dangers as well, then the next important thing to notice is found in the next few words.  “I will fear no evil, for you are with me”.  We don’t have to know the exact, specific type of evil or danger we are walking into.  The important point this verse is making is this…because our shepherd is near we put our trust in him and we do not have to be afraid.  

“As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness.” (Ezekiel 34:12)

“I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord.”  (Ezekiel 34:15)
“Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.”  (Psalm 100:3)

I wonder if any of you have been thinking, “If it’s so dangerous, why did the shepherd lead his sheep into these places.  Why didn’t he keep them down in the valley and near civilization where they would be safer?”  The answer is, they didn’t have all they needed to eat well, flourish, and grow in those safe places.  They needed plenty of water, lots of lush and varied grasses and a long lasting source of both.  These journeys were taken because the sheep needed to grow and this is where they needed to go for that to happen.  They went there to grow, just like we need to.  Haven’t you ever heard or even used the phrase “mountaintop experience” or “higher ground” to signify those times and places in your spiritual growth where big things happened and where important, life changing lessons took place?  These are the places where you really grew spiritually.  Ok, then ask yourself, “How do I get there?”  Well, how did the sheep get to those kinds of places?  You guessed it, they had to walk through the valleys to reach the high places.  It’s no different for us.  We usually don’t grow in the calm, peaceful places in our lives.  When growth is to take place it often requires us to get outside our “comfort zone” and stretch, to step out in faith and that is where real growth is going to happen.   I have heard so many testimonies and had personal experiences as well that attest to this concept.  Scripture has many such examples as well.  Think of the story of Moses when God spoke to him about leading the Israelites out of Egypt.  Moses seemed to be shaking in his sandals when he said “Uh, no Lord, I don’t talk so good!”  (my paraphrase) but God grew him and used him in a mighty way.  And when Moses died Joshua got his own marching orders and he passed some of that onto the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant.  Just yesterday during some devotional time God led me to Joshua to remind me of this scene.  Rather than relate the story here I think I’ll challenge you to step away from this post for a minute and read Joshua, chapter 3.  It’s not that long and it’s pretty amazing.  Please take a few minutes and read all of Chapter 3 of the OT book, Joshua.  Then come back to this post.  I’ll wait.

Read: Joshua , Chapter 3

I’d say those priests were taking a huge “step of faith” wouldn’t you?  The Jordan River at flood stage?  You as a priest carrying that heavy load?  Having all the others depending on you “holding up your end”?  What a story, what a plan, what a God!  You realize that these “steps” were necessary for the Israelites to begin their occupation of the Promised Lands.  And this was just the beginning.  Think of the times they were required to step out in faith again and again while facing unbelievable odds or, as the Psalmist might very well say, their own “valley of the shadow of death”.  Over and over God told them what they needed to do and then He made it possible for them to accomplish the things He had said.  This is no different than with you and me today.  God speaks and we listen.  Then comes that moment when either you act in faith on what He’s said or you hold back in fear of failure, ridicule, or embarrassment.  Remember that true growth takes place out in the valleys of this life.  We need to always be looking for that which God wants to show us.  The key to all of this is that second portion of today’s scripture: “I will fear no evil, for you are with me”.  That’s the key!  Read a few more verses which give us that same promise, hope and confidence.

The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
 of whom shall I be afraid?
  (Psalm 27:1)

“When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?”  (Psalm 56:3)

Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  (Hebrews 13:5)

“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  (Matthew 28:20B)

 “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”  (Romans 8:31) 

Thanks for taking the time to read through this blog today.  I look forward to our next post together.  Next time we will explore further in the next scripture passage how exactly God does make it possible for us to say with confidence, “I will fear no evil, for you are with me.”  Until next time, may God bless your socks off!

“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;”

1 comment:

  1. I've attended two funerals the past couple months. Last December it was Sandy's mom's and two days ago it was my mom's. Goin on 70, I'm kinda feeling my mortality lately. So, needless to say, you probably got a good idea how I'd explain "the valley of the shadow of death" these days. But...I fear no evil, for I know He is with me. Hope this comment finds you and Fran in high spirits and exuberant health.

    ReplyDelete