Monday, January 25, 2016

Psalm 23, Post #1 – January 25, 2016



Welcome back to our next study in God’s Word.  As I mentioned at the end of the last study. the Book of James, we are going to explore the very familiar passage we all know as “The 23rd Psalm”.  This chapter of the book of the Psalms is probably the most familiar and the most often used of all the Psalms.  It is regularly heard at funeral celebrations and is often shared with those who are experiencing some kind of struggle or tragedy in their lives.  While this Psalm is a wonderful way to bring God’s comfort in such situations it is also a great reminder for all of us of God’s love, provision and protection for all those he calls his children.

In this introductory post to Psalm 23 we will spend most of our time in another book of the Bible.  If you have your Bible nearby (and I hope you do) please take a moment and read John, chapter 10, verses 1-16 and then skip down to verses 26 through 28.  I know that’s not what you expected when you turned to this blog too begin a study on Psalm 23 but I think you’ll see why we are beginning with this passage.  Go ahead and take a few minutes to read through John 10:1-16, 26-28.  I hope you remember to always pause before you begin reading to ask God to open your eyes to His Word that you might see what He wants you to see in the words you will read.  It’s not just an interesting collection of history or stories, it is the living Word of God (Hebrews 4:12) and through it He speaks directly to His children.  Go ahead and read today’s passage.  I’ll wait.  

In this passage, Jesus describes the relationship of the shepherd to his sheep and of the sheep to their shepherd.  We will take some time to see how Jesus explains this unique relationship and see how it relates to us as his “sheep” but first I want to share some characteristics of sheep with you.  Several years ago I spoke to a co-worker who raised sheep and her comments and insights were eye opening to say the least.   Research I have done since then has confirmed what she shared.  When we read words in the scripture like All we, like sheep, have gone astray and turned everyone to his own way" (Isaiah 53:6) or "we are the sheep of His pasture..." (Psalm 100:3) we get that warm, fuzzy feeling that Jesus is comparing us to those fluffy, gentle creatures who spend their days in comfort and safety grazing in green fields, etc., etc., etc.!  Let me share with you some of the insights I have gained into what sheep are really like.  Then think about what we look like to God.
First of all sheep are defenseless.  They have no way to protect themselves.  They have no claws and no sharp, fang-like teeth for defense.  They are slow and awkward when they walk and have no defenses like many other animals have such as camouflaging coats or a keen sense of smell to know that danger is near.  They have poor vision and are awkward, weak and ignorant.  They will “follow the leader” even if that lead sheep is walking into a dangerous area or a heavy thicket.  The sheep are not very sure footed as they stand on spindly little legs and have tiny hoofs.  Sheep lack a sense of direction and get lost very easily.  Sheep are easily frightened because they are weak and defenseless and they know it.  They are naturally unclean.  They don’t lick, scrape or clean themselves and that beautiful wool coat you so often associate with sheep takes lots of cleaning, combing and preparation before it can be processed into useful wool.  Without someone to guide and provide for them sheep cannot readily find food or water for themselves.  They will eat anything including poisonous weeds as they have no keen sense of smell and will follow others into trouble very easily.  As my friend said, “Really, sheep are pretty stupid!”  (Her words, not mine.)   

Now think about Psalm 100:3 in light of this paragraph.  Hmmmm?  I don’t feel so warm and fuzzy about now.  If I am one of God’s “sheep” then I am pretty defenseless, inept and easily entrapped in troubles.  Yup, guilty!  And I’m also ignorant, easily misled, easily frightened, and often a maker of bad and even harmful choices.  Yup, again!  And finally, I am unclean and can’t (or won’t) often won’t do anything about it.  Been there, done that too!  I need a “shepherd” to take care of me, guide me, keep me from harm, clean me up and bring me to safety in his care.  Yes, yes and YES!  I have asked Jesus Christ to come into my life, save me from myself and the sin that clings so easily to me, to forgive me for my sins and take me into His holy family.  Because of that act I can say with complete confidence in Him, not me, the “The Lord is MY shepherd” and that “I will not be in want.” (Psalm 23:1)

Now let’s make some observations from today’s scripture, John 10:1-16, 26-28.  It’s helpful to understand that sheep in Jesus’ day were kept in pens when they weren’t grazing.  These pens could be caves, sheds, walls of stones or branches or just about anything which could be stacked up to contain the sheep, especially at night.  These “fenced in” areas are what the Bible refers to as sheepfolds.  The Greek word used in Joh 10:1 & 10:16 is Aule which simply means “an enclosure” in the open, like in a field.  At night the shepherd would sleep in the opening of the sheepfold on the ground to keep watch over his sheep.  We’ll speak more of this a little later.

In verse 3 Jesus says “the sheep listen to his voice.  He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”  Many times several shepherds would share the same sheepfold and put all their flocks together for the night.  Safety in numbers I suppose.  I wondered how on earth they could separate them when they left to graze them the next morning and here’s the answer I found.  Each shepherd would speak to his sheep and call out to them as he stepped out into the open.  His sheep would follow him because they knew the sound of his voice and trusted him to lead, guide, protect and provide for them.  This reminded me of something I often saw in my career as a teacher.  When several elementary teachers would take their classes out to the playground at the same time all the students would play together.  When it was time to go in a teacher would call out to his or her class and the children from that particular class would line up behind the teacher, preparing to re-enter the building.  Pretty cool, huh?   Verses 4 and 5 reinforce this whole idea that the shepherd knows each of his sheep and they know and trust him and his leading.  When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.” 
  

In verse 5 there is another statement about the sheep.  They would not respond to the voice of another shepherd because they didn’t know that voice, only the sound of their own shepherd.  Jesus says, “But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.”  In verse 6 John explains that Jesus was using a “figure of speech” but those listening didn’t get it.  What Jesus was saying was that if his “sheep” know him and his voice (words/message) they will not follow a stranger.  In fact, they will recognize that he’s not their “shepherd” and run away from the stranger.   To put it another way, if we really "know" our shepherd's voice (through His Word and the Holy Spirit) then we will not be tempted to follow a new, different voice that is trying to draw us away from him.  In fact, Jesus is saying that we will recognize the threat and “run away from him”.   There are several place is scripture where we read that we are to “flee” from sin.  I believe Jesus was saying the same thing here but, unfortunately, it wasn’t being understood.

In verses 7-9 Jesus speaks about being the “gate”.  Twice in these verses he says “I am the gate”.  The word “gate” is a version of the Greek word Thura used here which means ‘door’.  I mentioned earlier that I would share a bit more about the “gate” that kept the sheep in the sheepfold.  When these stones or brush piles were laid up to enclose the sheep for the night a gap or ‘gate’ was left open.  The shepherd would sleep in that gap and act as a human door.  Nothing could touch their lives before it touched him.  He would be able to know if any sheep was wandering out or if a predator was trying to get in to harm the sheep.  I hope you can see the parallels with us as the sheep and Jesus as the Good Shepherd.  He places himself there, between us and the world with all its charms and harms, protecting us from wandering out and getting hurt and keeping the forces of harm and evil away.  Jesus calls himself the door, the entry, the way.  Verse 9 makes it crystal clear, “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved” (or “kept safe”).   In John 14:6 Jesus tells Thomas and the other disciples, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the father except through me.”  You can almost hear Jesus adding, “Any questions?”

In verse 10 Jesus speak of “The thief [who] comes only to steal and kill and destroy”.  That description has a pretty familiar ring to it don’t you think?  As a matter of fact, just sitting here I can think of many different faces of evil that move in this fallen world that fit those descriptors.  Jesus, our Good Shepherd, can help us to recognize these “thieves” before we allow them into our lives.  But we must be close to the shepherd, listening to his voice.   When we are safely in his care we see at the end of verse 9 the promise of safety, peace and provision of our needs.  In verse 10 Jesus says “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”  In the KJV the word “abundantly” is used here.  Abundant life here and eternal life when we leave here to be with Christ.  That is an amazing promise don’t you think?

Jesus alludes to his coming sacrifice on the cross when he tells his disciples I verse 11, “I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”               Jesus offered up his life for us, that we might be able to spend eternity with him.  The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.  Wonderful words of love!  In the following verses Jesus reiterates his being the good shepherd and speaks of others who aren’t devoted or committed, caring nothing for their sheep.  He continues in verses 14-16 restating the above themes and even speaks of his resurrection (vs. 17) and his love for his sheep.  This passage should bring a deeper appreciation for the amazing love Jesus has for each one of us.  Scripture says he loves us and that he knows us, personally.  That brings me comfort and a closeness that’s hard to put into words.  How about you?

And speaking of words which encourage, check out verse 16.  Jesus is speaking about you and I, especially if you are a Gentile like me.  We are the “other sheep that are not of this sheep pen.”  Those he was speaking to at the time were Jews.  Jesus was telling them that there would be sheep from outside the Jewish nation (thank you Lord!) who would be brought into the fold.  “I must bring them also.  They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.”
I will close this post today with verses 26, 27 and 28.  I include them here because they will have a direct connection to the first words we read in Psalm 23.  I think I’ll give you a wee bit of homework this time.  Read verses 26 and 27 and then read the first half of verse 1 from Psalm 23, would you?  See what connections you find between these verses.  HOMEWORK!  OH NO! OK, I’ll help you.  Here’s John 10:26-28.

“But you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice’ I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

Once again, thanks for joining this study of Psalm 23.  I promise that in the next post we’ll start digging into that first verse or two.  Hey, with the homework I just gave you, you’re already getting started there.  God bless, thanks for being here and please share the link to this post with anyone whom you think might enjoy it as well.

1 comment: