Friday, January 1, 2016

James Post #2-James 1:1-4

Welcome to the first post where we get into the Word.  I often used a phrase in church which I’ll share with you today.  I would say that if we wanted to grow in our relationship with God we need to “Get our nose in The Book!”  They understood what that meant and I’m sure you do as well.  Some call the Bible the “Bread of Life”.   While others of us would reserve that title for our Savior, Jesus Christ, it does make sense to say that the Bible is Our Daily Bread.  (Hey, that would be a great name for a daily devotional, wouldn’t it?)  As we “feed” on God’s word, that is, take it into ourselves through the reading and/or hearing of it, we grow in our knowledge and understanding of who God is, what He means to us and how we can grow to become more like Him.  So let’s get started on today's “meal”.

If you haven’t already done so, I hope that you will read James 1:1-4 before you continue this article.  As a matter of fact I’ll make it easy for you.  Here it is:

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations; Greetings.   Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

I wrote in the last blog about James opening comment so I’ll just say briefly that he went from one who thought his brother, Jesus, had lost his mind (John 7:4; Mark 3:21) to the statement here in James 1:1 where he calls himself “a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ”.  If you read the previous post you know that many believe James’ conversion is recorded in 1 Corinthians 15:7.  It’s also known that James became a leader in the early Christian church and led the great Council of Jerusalem where Paul came to present his ministry to church leaders.

That brings us to James 1:2.  This verse begins with a statement that might make you sit up and say “What?”  You know, where it says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials off many kinds… ”.  Right!  James wants me to be happy about all the bad ‘stuff’ that turns up in my life.  Hang on!  Bear with me while we sift through this verse or as some pastors love to say, while we unwrap/unpack its   meaning.  First of all this verse actually tells us we will have troubles when we live the Christian life.  I know, I know, there are many people as well as many TV and radio “pastors” who tell you differently but notice that James doesn’t say “if” he says “whenever”.  This shouldn’t surprise anyone.  Jesus said the same thing.  In John 16:33 Jesus says “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  [underline added] But take heart!  I have overcome the world.”  There’s a whole sermon in this one verse but for now I will just use it to remind you Jesus never promises that once you receive Him into your heart your troubles are over.  Quite the contrary, when you become a child of God you will face new troubles and trials from without and within.  Jesus comment makes that abundantly clear.  But he encourages us with the promise that we won’t have to face these trials alone.  But I digress.  Let’s move back to James 1.

So, we will have troubles but, according to James, we should “Consider it (them) pure joy”.  How is that possible, you ask?  James gives us the answer…“because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.”  Then he goes on to say it will help you mature in all facets of your faith walk.  I need to stop right here for a moment and talk about these “trials”.  For starters, some people confuse “trials” with “temptations” they are very different.  Temptations are not from God.  He doesn’t tempt anyone. (James 1:13)  What James is talking about here is not temptation but trials.  Trials are like tests.

  

Have you ever walked to a frozen pond in the winter and wanted to step out on the ice.  Usually, before you take that first step you tentatively put one foot on the ice and press down with a little bit of your weight to see if it holds.  If everything goes well you add more and more weight until it holds you without breaking.  Most of the time you will then jump up and down on the ice just to make sure it won’t break under the load of your weight.  That’s just what these “trials” that James talks about accomplish.  They test you in terms of how you are able to handle the “load” or “weight” of what’s happening to you.  I hope that makes sense.  Here’s another thought about these “trials”.  God, as an all knowing being, already knows how much you can bear.  So why does He allow these trials?  They are there to show you how you are doing.  They cause you do make a personal assessment of your faith and how it’s working (or not) in your daily walk.  And why is that important?  It lets you know what you need to work on.  It reveals weaknesses that you can the work to strengthen.  Most importantly, they show us how much we truly need God in our day to day lives.  For me, they often show me areas of my life where I’m trying to do things all on my own and not let Him lead in my life.  It shows me that I need to get back into the center of His plans for me so that I might move forward with Him in my journey.

Finally, James tells us that this “testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  This is a bit like the “refiners fire” we often here about in churchy circles.  Our trials help us grow if we let them.  And that brings me to our closing thought today.  These trials will help us only if we “consider [them] pure joy”.  What James is saying is that our attitude about our trials is critically important.  We need to see them for what they are, opportunities for us to grow, to find places in our lives where we can improve and strengthen our faith.  It’s what God wants for us just as a loving parent wants to help their children grow.  Paul speaks about this same topic in Romans 5:3,4 where he says “"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

I will leave you with a personal note.  When I have faced such trials throughout my life I have learned to seek God in the middle of them, not always as willingly as you might think.  I often pray this prayer when the trials come.  “Lord, I know you are trying to teach me something about myself or show me something within me that needs changing through the troubles I am having.  Please reveal what it is that I am to learn or to do through this trial and help me learn it quickly so I don’t have to stay in this mess any longer than I have to.”  I know this sounds a bit corny but it’s absolutely true.  “ God, show me what I need to learn quickly, please!”  I can tell you that He answers such prayers and I encourage you to have that same mindset.  When you find yourself in a time of trial, turn your eyes toward Jesus and run into His arms through prayer rather than run away from whatever it is that’s happening in your life.  It really works.  Until next post, God’s best to you my friends!

2 comments:

  1. "Count your life by smiles, not tears." ....John Lennon

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'ᔕ ᑕOᗰᖴOᖇTIᑎG TO KᑎOᗯ TᕼᗩT TᕼE TEᔕTIᑎG Oᖴ Oᑌᖇ ᖴᗩITᕼ Iᔕ ᗩ TEᔕT TᕼᗩT ᗯE ᗩᖇE ᗰEᗩᑎT TO ᑭᗩᔕᔕ ᑎOT ᖴᗩIᒪ. ITᔕ ᗩᒪᔕO ᖴOᖇ ᑌᔕ TO ᗷᑌIᒪᗪ Oᑎ ᗩᑎᗪ ᑎOT ᖇEᔕT Oᑎ. TᕼEᔕE TEᔕTᔕ TEᗩᑕᕼ ᑌᔕ ᔕO ᗰᑌᑕᕼ ᗩᗷOᑌT OᑌᖇᔕEᒪᐯEᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ IT'ᔕ E᙭ᑕITIᑎG TO ᔕEE ᕼOᗯ GOᗪ ᗯOᖇKᔕ Iᑎ Oᑌᖇ ᒪIᐯEᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑎE᙭T TEᔕT Oᖇ TᖇIᗩᒪ ᗯIᒪᒪ ᖇEᐯEᗩᒪ ᗩᗷOᑌT ᕼIᔕ ᗩᗯEᔕOᗰEᑎEᔕᔕ ᗩᔕ ᗯE ᔕTᖇIᐯE TO ᗷE ᗰOᖇE ᒪIKE ᕼIᗰ!

    ReplyDelete